If you want to make optimum utilization of rain-water rather than letting it simply drain away, then the best option is to build some rain gardens. These gardens basically comprise of those vegetations that have got deep-reaching roots. These plants are deliberately planted in the garden and outdoor landscape so that utilization of spring-melt or storm waters become easy and efficient.
Steps when Building Rain Gardens:
- Spot selection: You should choose an area which gets the sunlight throughout the day. There should not be any utility lines, and the location should be ideal for adding broad-leafed flowering and forb-rich perennial plants.
- Soil testing and choosing a specific garden-shape: Gradual slope oriented bean-shaped land is best for these gardens. Holes need to be created within the middle part of your garden for filling them with water. If water is getting drained within 24 hours, then the soil is ideal to use.
- Garden digging and adding soil: The soil should contain 50-percent of sand, 25-percent of top-soil, and 25-percent of compost. Almost 6-8 inches deeper the soil needs to be dug for planting the plants properly.
- Make the Right Plant Shoices: You should be very picky about plant selection and landscape design Brisbane. Native-perennial trees, shrubs, and flowers having deeper roots need to be chosen. You have to select plants in accordance with shady or sunny areas.
- Inviting Wildlife: The garden should be created with proper planning so that the whole area looks beautifully decorated. Blazing star, cardinal flower, bee balm, and coneflowers are some of the decorative plants that can be chosen for these gardens.
Key Advantages of Having Rain Gardens:
- Run-off absorption: Run-off water often causes acute soil erosion, as a result, gardening landscape gets ruptured. But with the introduction of rain gardens, unwanted soil erosion can be easily prevented as the water will automatically get absorbed by deep-rooted plants in the garden.
- Attract wildlife: Since extremely beautiful and colourful plants are typically found in rain gardens, they attract butterflies and birds of different kinds. Your garden will never get disturbed by mosquitoes as mosquito-eating dragon-flies will also be attracted to these gardens.
- Divert pollutants: Run-off water often leads to the drainage of pollutants, especially fertilizers. These fertilizers can end up in nearby streams or lakes. This is how water-bodies get polluted. This pollution can now be easily avoided just by maintaining rain gardens and implementing proper landscaping services.
- Cultivate beauty: Your garden will look beautiful. In order to enhance the aesthetic appeal of your garden, you can choose plants that produce colourful fruits and flowers. With a rain garden your house’s overall aesthetic value will be boosted.
- Improved gardening landscape: Rain gardens cater the best landscape services as it can help in protecting soils from getting washed away. These kinds of gardens can be easily maintained. Thus you do not require maintaining any additional irrigational system for watering your garden plants on a frequent note.
Implement some of the best tips of rain garden maintenance Brisbane and admire the beauty and practicality of your new front or backyard.